Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The Interview-Getting to Know You

There are some great resources at EzineArticles.com that relate to business mgmt. My focus will be on managing people. The first and most important element is to hire the right people. There are a lot of resources out there that offer sample interview questions. Whichever method you choose the focus should be on getting an idea of the type of person and type of worker they will be. If you're receiving monosyllabic answers you must draw them out and get them talking. Make sure you are creating a comfortable environment so they will open up to you. I like to ask personal and professional questions. Questions I always ask that have a significant impact as to whether I hire a person or not are: How do you get through situations when there are a number of things you have to accomplish in a short period of time(multi-tasking) Tell me your idea of excellent customer service. Tell me about a time when you had to handle a dissatisfied customer(ask for specifics!!) This is another indication of how they will deal with a stressful situation. Tell me about a time when you went above and beyond to satisfy a customer(are they willing to go the extra mile for the customers. Then I'll throw in.... give me 3 adjectives that best describe you. If I met 3 of your friends on the street how would they describe you- is also a great personal question I've used. It draws them out. Most people smile at these questions if they don't, I begin to question how they will interact with guest. I will also start to tailor my questions towards ways they have made a guests feel welcome. Remember the true purpose of the interview is not to fill an open position, but to find someone who can take care of your business and the customers when you're not there.

I also believe in holding more than one interview. Having another managers perspective can firm up a decision or call it into question. Either way it's a simple and useful tool to ensure you are hiring the right person. When we didn't agreed on a candidate we would hold a more in depth interview or bring in another manager for a 3rd interview. I'll soon have some sample interview questionnaires and talk about setting up ratings systems for the interview.

No comments:

About Me

Professionally I've been a Chef, a Manager a Catering Coordinator..actually I've held every position available in a restaurant. I'd like to be a resource to others who are in a position of authority and are responsible for making key decisions about the business. I was fortunate enough to have a lot of great mentors as I was growing up in the industry and I think one of the greatest ways to show my appreciation to them is to be a mentor to others(or try to be) I'm working on a fun site that is mostly opinion and personal experience. www.survival101.synthasite.com Beyond that.....maybe oneday someone will publish my journals til then.... ask what ya' wanna know;)